Saturday, November 20, 2010

Step Up

“All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.” – Edmund Burke

Many have wondered why my sweet wife’s face and name have not been attached to the articles written in the past few months. Since the names of the final two candidates for the president of the College have been made public, I feel I can now share the reason.

I considered applying for the position several months ago and I decided to write some articles that applied to the College. We felt that it would be best that the public understand that the articles expressed my personal views. Janel still provides input and suggestions, but I am ultimately responsible for what is said.

As the College was hit with multiple challenges prior to the position announcement, I did a careful analysis of the situation and even used a formal decision matrix to evaluate the alternatives. Basically, the choice boiled down to developing an Internet-based business that has the potential to be very lucrative and once set up would only require a few hours per week which would allow me to spend time with my young family and continue teaching – which I love to do.

The other option was to do something that will be extremely challenging, is very stressful, has an uncertain outcome, will require a huge sacrifice of my family as I give 100 percent to turn things around at the College, but it could be very fulfilling to collectively work with extraordinary people in the CNMI to fully realize the mission of the College and provide a better life for the students and community that I love.

It basically boiled down to either preparing a life raft for my family and me to safely float away if things get too bad here, or staying with the ship through thick or thin and use my management experience to get everyone to work together to not only steer the College to safety, but position it for sustainable growth. From a purely objective and analytical perspective the first choice garnered a lot more points on my decision matrix; however, I could tell that Janel was not convinced, and down deep I knew what was the right thing for me to do. So four days before the deadline I emailed some friends to provide letters of recommendation and to be references, put my packet together and submitted it.

I mention this because I believe there are many people in the community who are deeply concerned about our current situation in the Commonwealth and have started to not only become more vocal, but are taking steps to make a difference. They are doing this not for personal gain or ambition, but because they care about what’s happening and believe that there are viable solutions other than just waiting to hit rock bottom.

It will take individuals who are willing to step up to the challenges we are facing if we are to make it through these trying times successfully. Who are they? It should be our elected leaders and people hired in positions of responsibility. It must be our business leaders who have invested their money and time into businesses they want to become more profitable. It could be anyone who is willing to do whatever it takes to turn this beautiful island community into the paradise it can still become for everyone who lives here and visits.

These individuals (you) are the ones that will make a difference. It will take thinking beyond your own personal interests and embracing the bigger picture in order for you to know what decisions are best. It may require making some personal sacrifices now so we can have a stronger and more vibrant future.

A few weeks ago I returned home from an all-day planning conference that was held by the College and read this email from Janel. This summarizes why I’ve applied to become the president, it inspired me to write this article, and hopefully it will prompt you to take personal responsibility to make a difference in your life, your family, business, job, and community.

“Just a note to say I love you and that I am thankful that you are one of the ones standing up to help get us through tough times. It is interesting to watch who is emerging as our community is getting hit hard by pride. I read the paper and the voices that we are hearing cry out, I believe, are our future leaders. This storm the community is facing may very well prove to be a weeding out of old dogmatic ways and bring proven methods, that are old but tried and true, to our rescue. No matter who is chosen, you have made me proud that you have sacrificed your wants for the betterment of others! I love you and hope you have a great day!”

You see, I feel I’m a winner either way because I have the confidence and support of my wife, family, and friends and in their eyes I have stepped up to do what I feel is right. The Board of Regents now has the difficult decision to choose the next individual who will lead the College. The new president will face some very serious challenges that could make or break the institution. I know the Board will make the best decision for the future of the College, whomever is chosen.

I hope that you will step up to the challenge and be a part of the solution and not a part of the problem. There is still time to improve our situation in the Commonwealth, but it will require more good people who are willing to face our many challenges. We have it within ourselves to turn things around, if we are willing to step up.

No comments:

Post a Comment